Thursday, June 19, 2008

Door Holding

This should seem like something that would be a nicety in your daily grind, however, it is no shock that this is another source of annoyance in my day.

I really think that it is fine and polite to hold the door for someone. I do this anytime someone is coming behind me. However, I really think there should be a standard for the distance that someone is away from you before this is necessary. 3 feet maybe? My point is, that if I am 15 or more feet away from the door, then please just keep walking. Otherwise, I then feel compelled to change my pace to "hurry up" so that you are not standing there regretting that you had tried to be nice by holding the door for me. Really, I do not need to get into this building any faster than necessary. I would like to walk on autopilot in my half-awake state for as long as possible. I don't need people screwing that up with their niceness. I'll even wave and say "oh no, thank you, that's ok, you go ahead" and basically have to shout it because I'm still that far away. But, the individual says "oh no, that's ok."

So, then I have to hurry so they won't be as put out. Has anyone considered that when we think we are doing something to be helpful, we are actually just one more nuissance in a day already chalk full?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good point. It's almost as annoying as when you approach double doors with your friends. You arrive first and hold the door on the RIGHT for your friends in your group. Then after your last friend goes through the door, some jackass coming in the opposite direction is too lazy to open their own door on THEIR RIGHT and walks through your open door. Then to top it off doesn't even say thank you and avoids eye contact as if you're the doorman at a fancy hotel. "Hello, ma'am. Welcome back to the Windsor Resort." NO! Am I wearing a tuexedo with tails, white gloves, and a fancy hat? That's right. I'm not. Open your own door!