Monday, June 16, 2008

Allergy Doctor

So, I go into my allergy doctor to get my shots, which I do every week. I have been doing this since I was about 8, so this is pretty routine. I typically stop there on my way home from the office, where I am required to wear a suit. I have been wearing a suit pretty much every week for the entire time that I've been a patient in their office. However, on this particular week, the nurses decide to comment. The same nurse is always there, I will refer to her as "nice nurse". Then there is another nurse each week, which is a rotation of two or three different nurses. I dislike two of them. The nurse that was there on this particular day with nice nurse, I'll refer to as "fat nurse."

So, I go into the office and sign in. That particular day, I had had yet another miserable day at the office. It was near 100 degrees again that day, so it is no shock that I was not in a pleasant mood. As I'm signing in, nice nurse says "is it hot out there" and I just look at her and say "uhh ya." So the conversation goes like this...

Fat Nurse: Why would you wear a dark suit on a hot day like this?

Me: (Thinking) Yeah, I woke up this morning and thought, man what can I do to make my day even more miserable than it already is?? Hmmm....I know, I'll wear a dark brown suit when it is 100 degrees. I LOVE wearing suits. Suits are awesome! I wish I could wear suits to bed and on the weekends too.
(Saying in annoying tone) Well if I had my choice I wouldn't be wearing a suit at all.

Fat Nurse: Well, you could at least wear a spring or summer suit, you don't have to wear a dark one.

Me: Well, if I really gave a shit about my job or how I looked at it, I might care about spending even more money on more suits to have more seasonal options.

Fat Nurse: It isn't about caring about your job, you should care more about yourself than that.

Me: (Thinking) Yes, because wearing a suit to a job I hate is the same thing as not caring about myself. Are you sure you aren't a therapist?)
(Saying) Well, I sit in a freezing cold room by myself and stare at a computer screen for 12 hours a day. I don't think the computer cares what color suit I'm wearing. Why would I want to waste a couple hundred dollars for something I can't stand when I could use that money for something else I might actually enjoy?

Fat Nurse: Sounds like you need to get a new job.

Me: (Thinking) WOW, I never thought of that! You are a fucking genius!
(Saying) Well, there is this whole thing where you have a decent salary, you want to keep making one. So, you become a sell out so you can pay for your ridiculous 3300/month payment for a freaking townhouse that has lost 50K in value since you bought it. So I guess you just figure it is a means to an end and suck it up until you are motivated to do something else.

Fat Nurse: At this point she seems to be sensing that I might slap her.... Well, maybe you can go back to school to do something else.

Me: Well, since I already have a degree and two differen't master's degrees, I don't think I'm doing that anytime soon and I'm on career change #5. So, maybe I just need to revisit this whole "work" thing in general and until then I'm going to keep wearing my shitty standard dark suit corporate whorewear and head to my job that I hate every day so that I can pay my bills.

Fat Nurse: Changes subject and starts talking to nice nurse.

I think when I go back to get my shot next week, I'm going to put on a turtleneck under a black suit to wear in.

No comments: