Friday, September 5, 2008

Yes, I was right I don't like you

Here at Company X, we have alot of corporate douchebag types. You get pretty used to them after awhile, but you don't start to like them. There is someone in Senior Management that I don't like. No one on their team likes them and they have alot of turnover. One of the joys of my life is that they have alot of people on their team that ping me for questions all week long. Instead of just compiling a bunch of issues at once and letting me go through, I get 10 or so emails a day that are "high priority" and need an immediate answer. So, when these folks get answers they don't like, they keep escalating it. So an entire month rolls by and the Senior Manager now needs me to clarify a few things that have been escalated. I get a call in the evening hours, which I of course do not answer. Then another call at 7 am regarding a meeting that I do not know about at 8 am.

Senior Manager: Hi, I just want to touch base with you prior to the meeting to make sure we are on the same page....

Me: I'm not aware of the meeting you are referring to.

Senior Manager in annoyed tone: Uhhhh the meeting about such and such about such and such for the item that is due on Monday that takes weeks to complete

Me: Sorry I must not have been included in any of those communications.

Senior Manager: Well, my entire team has been working on this stuff for an entire month and we need x, y, z from you

Me: That is why I answered x, y, and z all month long in various email chains and made sure to cc you on every communication so that you were aware that there were major flaws with the direction you were taking on this project

Senior Manager: Well, that is why I need to make sure we are on the same page before this meeting

Me: I don't see what the same page is when we have a fundamental difference of opinion of the situation and how to approach it

Senior Manager: I don't think you understand my perspective

Me: I completely understand your perspective and there are major reasons why the perspective is incorrect, which I pointed out and documented numerous times this month

Senior Manager: Yes, because you are not seeing my point of view

Me: Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm confused, it means that I don't agree

Senior Manager: We need to be a united front when we speak to the client

Me: I think we probably need to involve the folks from legal due to the conflict of interest with our competing organizations with this client

Senior Manager: OK well I'll just be on the call at 8. Thanks.

I hate this place. Just because we don't agree doesn't make someone wrong.

No comments: